Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel


Embed this content in your HTML

Search

Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog


older | 1 | .... | 292 | 293 | (Page 294) | 295 | 296 | .... | 359 | newer

    0 0

    See which players are at the top of each statistical list early in the season.


    0 0

    Take a look at how your team stacked up in the latest rankings.


    0 0

    Folks have long been delighted by informal photos and videos - like those on 'Candid Camera.'

    This week's collection of vintage photos depicts New Jerseyans captured in candid images. We have posted candid photos for the past few years and they have proven to be quite popular among our audience. But, we are not charting new territory here; folks have long been delighted by informal photos and videos.

    According to the Archive of American Television, "Candid Camera" was the first and longest-running reality-based comedy program in TV history. It evolved from a radio program called "Candid Microphone."

    cancam.jpg 

    The archive notes that "the format of the program featured footage taken by a hidden camera of everyday people caught in hoaxes devised by the show's host Allen Funt. He and his crew had to contend with burdensome equipment that was difficult to conceal. The cameras were often hidden behind a screen, but the lights needed for them had to be left out in the open. Would-be victims were told that the lights were part of 'renovations.'"

    MORE: Vintage photos around New Jersey

    "Candid Camera" ran from 1949 through 1967 and again -- using the original format and some variations such as "Candid Camera Goes to the Doctor" -- from 1974 through 1993. In many ways, it was the precursor to today's reality programming. But, it maintained one principle many of its offspring can't claim -

    Candid Camera never scripted a single segment in its history.

    Here's a gallery of candid moments from New Jersey, as well as links to older galleries you'll enjoy.

    Vintage photos capturing candid slices of life in N.J.

    More vintage candid photos from N.J.

    Vintage photos of celebs from N.J. when they were young

    Greg Hatala may be reached at ghatala@starledger.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregHatala. Find Greg Hatala on Facebook.


    0 0

    Anthony Sarni, 43, who settled two lawsuits in 2016 with the town for more than $200,000 over the incident, has filed another lawsuit against the state's fifth-largest municipality

    The former Edison officer, dubbed the lingerie cop after he admitted to showing up to a hotel in uniform in 2012 and pressured a woman to model underwear, says he should still be a cop, according to a recent lawsuit.

    Anthony Sarni, 43, who settled two lawsuits with the town in 2016 for more than $200,000 over the incident, has filed another lawsuit against the state's fifth-largest municipality, claiming the township's administration led an "orchestrated campaign" to force him out of the department. 

    The lawsuit, which names Edison, its police department, Mayor Thomas Lankey and Police Cheif Thomas Byran, accuses the town administration of using a "hit man" doctor, allegedly a known specialist who is hired to end an officer's career, to perform a fitness for duty evaluation. 

    Calls to Edison officials were not returned. 

    Sarni's attorney, Theodore Campbell, declined to comment on the suit.

    Sarni claims in the lawsuit filed in Middlesex County Superior Court on Jan. 5 he was harassed by officials and forced to retire, which took effect at the end of last year.  

    The settlement, which was approved by the township council in December of 2016 after town attorney William Northgrave said the approval would put "all issues with Officer Sarni are behind us," paid the officer $212,000. As part of the deal, Sarni would retire and his two lawsuits related to the patrolman's suspension and his eventual firing were dismissed.

    The suit says he accepted a settlement because he feared he would be fired. 

    Sarni was never charged criminally in the incident that started with a fire alarm call at the Extended Stay America in 2012 while he was on duty. The former officer later returned to the hotel, off-duty but still in full uniform with his sidearm, and asked a woman to try on Victoria's Secret lingerie for him, according to Internal Affair documents previously reported

    The woman complained to the Edison department but later refused to talk to authorities, saying she feared retribution. 

    Additionally, the former officer says in the lawsuit another fitness for duty evaluation performed by an independent firm found Sarni was stable and able to work as an officer. 

    The evaluation from the doctor hired by the township, Matthew Guller, found Sarni suffered from "impulse disorder," according to the suit. Guller and two other officers are named in the suit. 

    The lawsuit also states that other officers who engaged in "questionable behavior involving nudity and other aberrant behavior" were never ordered to have similar evaluations. 

    Craig McCarthy may be reached at 732-372-2078 or at CMcCarthy@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @createcraig and on Facebook here. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

    Have a tip? Tell us. nj.com/tips


    0 0

    Check out who's rising and who's falling.


    0 0

    Like a cloud of blue exhaust or the acrid perfume of burnt rubber, memories of a half century of drag racing at Raceway Park will linger long after the dragsters are gone


    0 0

    Who are the top forwards from the class of 2018?


    0 0

    The settlement was paid out to the estate of the Ashley Shubiger in September

    $$ga0523mxravi 6 BROWNBudget Story: 	 1 BROWNFile photo of the Middlesex County Jail in North Brunswick (The Star-Ledger) 

    Middlesex County has settled a lawsuit in the death of a 25-year-old Colonia woman while she was an inmate in the county jail nearly five years ago, a report says. 

    The $20,000 settlement was paid out to the estate of Ashley Shubiger in September, according to legal papers. The settlement was first reported in the NJ Civil Settlements blog by John Paff on Wednesday.

    Shubiger, a self-employed artist and Woodbridge High School graduate, hanged herself while in the Middlesex County Adult Correctional Facility in 2013, the report says. She died on Aug. 5, 2013, according to her obituary.

    Following her death, Shubiger's family sued Middlesex County, the jail, its warden, Lakewood and its police officers. The family claimed based on information provided during the jail intake process the staff should have known that Ashley Shubiger was an addict with a psychiatric history and a history of suicide.  

    Based on that information, and a threat to commit suicide after she was jailed, they argued that Ashley Shubiger should have been monitored more closely.

    The county or the attorney for the estate of Shubiger did not immediately respond for comment. 

    Craig McCarthy may be reached at 732-372-2078 or at CMcCarthy@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @createcraig and on Facebook here. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

    Have a tip? Tell us. nj.com/tips


    0 0

    NJ Advance Media staff releases its latest group and conference rankings of the season.


    0 0

    He followed her with a GPS tracker and shot her twice in front of the factory where she worked.

    A 28-year-old man who stalked his ex-girlfriend and shot her to death in front of her coworkers outside a South Brunswick factory in 2015 will spend the rest of his life behind bars.

    Giver Quiroz-Vasquez of New Brunswick received a life sentence Thursday in Superior Court in Middlesex County, according to the county prosecutor's office.

    He was convicted at trial in October for murdering Alicia Martinez-Izaquirr, 24, of New Brunswick, after following her to her workplace and shooting her twice in the head as she arrived to start her shift on June 24, 2015.

    In interviews in 2015, her brother, Marlon Martinez said his sister was moved to the United States from Honduras when she was 15, fleeing difficult circumstances.

    "She went to work every day," he said. "She was trying to make her American dream come true."

    The killing was the first murder in South Brunswick since 2008 and the first time someone died by gunfire at the hands of a criminal in the township since 1989.

    In his opening statements in the October trial, Assistant Prosecutor Bina Desai called the killing a "cold-blooded execution."

    He said Quiroz-Vasquez had placed a GPS tracker on his ex-girlfriend's vehicle and, hours before the shooting, illegally purchased a handgun and ammunition.

    When she left her new boyfriend's home on June 24 to go to work, Vasquez watched and waited outside, Desai said. In a car borrowed from a friend, he then followed Martinez-Izaquirr to Dunkin Donuts and fired at her car as she turned onto Docks Corner Road in South Brunswick heading towards the industrial park where she worked.

    Once in the parking lot, full of Martinez-Izaquirr's friends and coworkers, Quiroz-Vasquez shot her in the head before she could get out of her car, Desai said.

    He admitted to the killing when he was collared at a friend's home in New Hope, Pennsylvania the next day, authorities said. His defense attorney, Robert Corbin, argued unsuccessfully at trial that the killing was not first-degree murder because it was a crime of passion and not planned.

    Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Scott LaMountain said in a previous hearing that Quiroz-Vasquez was in the United States illegally. He also goes by the aliases Gilberto Juarez-Vasques and Erick Morales Sandin, the prosecutor's office said.

    Rebecca Everett may be reached at reverett@njadvancemedia.com. Follow her on Twitter @rebeccajeverett. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

     

    0 0

    Who are the top guards from the class of 2018?


    0 0
  • 01/19/18--05:05: Female tabby was a stray
  • Cassandra has been spayed, is FIV/FeLV negative and up-to-date on shots.

    mx0121pet.jpgCassandra 

    OLD BRIDGE -- Cassandra is an adult female tabby at the Old Bridge Animal Shelter.

    Brought to the shelter by a township resident who found her as a stray, she is a relaxed cat and should make a good pet in most any home. Cassandra has been spayed, is FIV/FeLV negative and up-to-date on shots.

    To meet Cassandra and other adoptable pets at the Old Bridge Animal Shelter, visit the shelter at One Old Bridge Plaza. The shelter is open every day from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. For more information, call 732-721-5600, ext. 6300 or email mjeffries@oldbridge.com.

    Shelters interested in placing a pet in the Paw Print adoption column or submitting news should call 973-836-4922 or email middlesex@starledger.com.

    Greg Hatala may be reached at ghatala@starledger.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregHatala. Find Greg Hatala on Facebook.


    0 0

    What'd you miss in the last week of boys basketball season?


    0 0

    The 19-year-olds showed a gun and a baseball bat when they entered the AT&T store on Route 1 in Edison

    Two 19-year-old men who robbed a cell phone store in Edison at gunpoint last week were arrested in Clifton, authorities said. 

    Yousef Mohammed Ijbara, of New York City, and Mahdi L. Shalanbi, of Paterson, walked into the AT&T Mobile store on Route 1 at 7:42 p.m. on Jan. 10 and ordered the manager to the ground, Edison police said. 

    Ijbara showed a handgun and Shalanbi held a baseball bat, according to Lt. Robert Dudash.

    300 mph memories: Raceway Park says so long to drag racing

    The pair then stole multiple cell phones and other electronic devices before fleeing north on Route 1 in a car. 

    The two refused to stop when Edison police tried to pull the car over as it approached exit 153B on the Garden State Parkway in Clifton and got onto westbound Route 3, officials said.

    Clifton police caught up to the car on Stevens Street. 

    Edison police said they didn't pursue the car. Instead, they located and followed it before attempting the motor vehicle stop. Three Edison police units, including an unmarked detective car were involved, Dudash said. 

    Edison police charged Ijbara and Shalanbi with robbery, aggravated assault and weapons offenses. They are being held on a no-bail warrant at the Middlesex County jail in North Brunswick. 

    After obtaining a search warrant, police recovered multiple stolen items from the vehicle including ski masks, an aluminum baseball bat, and a realistic looking pellet handgun.

    Other police departments were also involved in the pursuit, Edison police said. 

    Jeff Goldman may be reached at jeff_goldman@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @JeffSGoldman. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

     

     


    0 0

    Check out where N.J.'s top college wrestlers are ranked nationally


    0 0

    EAST BRUNSWICK -- Kindergartener Janice Brasted eagerly waits to use bakers clay for an arts and crafts project at the Frost School in East Brunswick in 1983. MORE: Vintage photos around New Jersey If you would like to share a photo that provides a glimpse of history in your community, please call 973-836-4922 or send an email to middlesex@starledger.com. And,...

    EAST BRUNSWICK -- Kindergartener Janice Brasted eagerly waits to use bakers clay for an arts and crafts project at the Frost School in East Brunswick in 1983.

    MORE: Vintage photos around New Jersey

    If you would like to share a photo that provides a glimpse of history in your community, please call 973-836-4922 or send an email to middlesex@starledger.com. And, check out more glimpses of history in our online galleries on nj.com.

    Greg Hatala may be reached at ghatala@starledger.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregHatala. Find Greg Hatala on Facebook.


    0 0

    See how the playoff picture is shaping up through the halfway point of the regular season.


    0 0

    The latest wrestling news from around the state.


    0 0

    10 of N.J. hockey's top players over the past week.


    0 0

    Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Inc., the Plainsboro-based subsidiary of Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited

    A New Jersey drug company has been fined $5 million after cutting a deal with the feds over allegations that the company sold prescription drugs in non-child proof packaging, according to authorities. 

    Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Inc., the Plainsboro-based subsidiary of Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited, which is headquartered in India, was accused of knowingly using unapproved blister packs in 2012 despite objections from its employees, the Department of Justice announced Friday

    "Dr. Reddy's failed to ensure that children were protected from potentially harmful prescription drugs," Acting Assistant Attorney General Chad A. Readler said. "The government will continue to take seriously alleged violations of laws meant to protect consumer safety."

    As part of the consent decree, in which the company admits no wrongdoing, Dr. Reddy's will create a compliance program.

    Calls the company were not immediately returned. 

    In a release in December, Dr. Reddy's had reached an agreement with the government and the products have not been distributed since June 2012.  

    Craig McCarthy may be reached at 732-372-2078 or at CMcCarthy@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @createcraig and on Facebook here. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

    Have a tip? Tell us. 

     

    nj.com/tips


older | 1 | .... | 292 | 293 | (Page 294) | 295 | 296 | .... | 359 | newer