Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels

Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 338 | 339 | (Page 340) | 341 | 342 | .... | 359 | newer

    0 0

    A witness saw that he hadn't surfaced and and called 911

    The man who jumped off a dock and later drowned in Lake Carnegie in Princeton Friday night was a Trenton man.

    Princeton police identified him Monday as Talven Page, a 23-year-old.

    Page was not part of any event at the lake. The investigation so far shows he was there on his own, jumped into the lake near a public access ramp near Princeton-Kingston Road, swam for a while and then went under and never surfaced, a police spokes 

    A witness saw that he hadn't surfaced and and called 911 at 2:52 p.m.

    Three officers got to the lakeside at 2:55 p.m. and two went into the water and moments later found him, and brought him to the side, where other first responders were waiting.

    They started CPR at 3:03 p.m., but Page was pronounced dead at 3:54 p.m., at Princeton Medical Center in Plainsboro, the department said.

    Kevin Shea may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @kevintshea. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    See which New Jersey hospitals ranked highest in this high-profile survey.

    0 0

    A settlement agreement also called for both parties not to disclose its terms, but a copy was obtained under the state Open Public Records Act.

    A separation agreement between Kenilworth Public Schools and a former superintendent charged with pooping on a Holmdel athletic field pays his full salary through the end of September plus two months severance pay and $23,827 in unused vacation days.

    Under the terms of the agreement, a copy of which was obtained by NJ Advance Media, the district will end up having paid its former superintendent, Thomas Tramaglini, well over $100,000 some five months after his arrest and suspension in May.

    And, the agreement stipulates, the district will not contest Tramaglini's application for unemployment.

    "From the date of execution of this Separation Agreement by Tramaglini and the Board President, Tramaglini will remain on a paid leave of absence for personal reasons through Sept. 30, 2018," unless he lands a comparable job before then, according to the agreement. "During such time, he shall not report to work, perform any of the duties of, nor have any of the responsibilities of the position of Superintendent of Schools of the Kenilworth School District."

    The agreement also called for the district and Tramaglini not to disclose the terms of their separation. However, a copy of the agreement was obtained by a number of news organizations under the state Open Public Records Act.

    The agreement was signed by Tramaglini on July 24 and by Kenilworth Board of Education President Nancy Zimmerman and Board Secretary/Business Administrator Vincent Gonnella on July 26, the day Tramaglini's submitted his letter of resignation, with an effective date of Sept. 30.

    Tramaglini, 42, was suspended with pay by Kenilworth after he was charged on May 1 by Holmdel Police with defecating in public at the Holmdel High School football field and track. The high school is about 3 miles from Tramaglini's condominium in Aberdeen.

    With a salary of $147,500 under a contract that originally ran from Jan. 11, 2016, to July 1, 2020, keeping Tramaglini on his full salary for the five months following his suspension up through his September resignation date will cost the district $61,458, not including his vacation and severance pay. The full amount owed to him, including both, is $109,868.

    And while the agreement does not specify how much Tramaglini will receive for unused sick days, or the number of days he accrued, it does state that the district will honor the terms of Tramaglni's original contract, which calls for reimbursement of $682 per unused sick day.

    No motive has ever been ascribed to Tramaglini's alleged serial defecation, and a Holmdel Municipal Court hearing on Monday offered few clues.

    A civil case is in the works, after Tramaglini notified the Holmdel police of his intention to sue the department for photographing him and "maliciously" circulating his mug shot for what Tramaglini's lawyer characterized as a minor offense.

    Steve Strunsky may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @SteveStrunsky. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    NJ Advance Media takes a peek at some of the top New Jersey high school football scrimmages this summer. Here's your guide.

    0 0

    The Plainsboro man was badly hurt when he stopped to use an ATM at the Bank of America in Rocky Hill in February 2015

    A New Jersey man seriously injured when he fell in an icy parking lot more than three years ago has settled his lawsuit for $7 million, a defense attorney confirmed. 

    Chetan Vaidya, of Plainsboro, hit the unsalted ground while trying to step on a sidewalk to use the ATM at a Bank of America branch in Rocky Hill on Feb. 9, 2015.

    Vaidya, now 53, was unable to walk or drive a car after suffering serious head and body injuries. His vocal chords were also partially paralyzed.

    $1.3M awarded to woman who fell in icy parking lot

    Jared Duvoisin of Newark-based Tompkins, McGuire, Wachenfeld & Barry confirmed $7 million was the global settlement figure, adding the cost will be split between several parties. first reported news of the settlement.

    In addition to Bank of America, the suit named building owner CBRE, the building owner, subcontractor Brickman Group and the company it hired to maintain the sidewalk, Best Landscaping as defendants. 

    Duvoisin represented Bank of America, CBRE and Brickman

    Filed in Middlesex County, the suit was settled June 29.

    Vaidya's attorney, Nicholas Leonardis couldn't immediately be reached by NJ Advance Media for comment. 

    Jeff Goldman may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @JeffSGoldman. Find on Facebook.



    0 0

    The crash spilled 50 gallons of fuel and granite across the road in South Brunswick

    A truck that overturned and crashed into multiple utility poles Tuesday afternoon will keep a busy road in South Brunswick closed through the evening rush, authorities said. 

    The truck, which was carrying granite, spilled about 50 gallons of fuel along Broadway Road off of Route 130, South Brunswick police said.

    The crash took place at about 1:50 p.m. near Rowland Park and will keep Broadway Road closed between Friendship Road and Miller Road for about five hours.

    The truck driver is being treated for injuries. 

    A Middlesex County haz-mat team is cleaning up the fuel while police investigate the crash. The Monmouth Junction Fire Department and the town's EMS squad is also on hand. 

    Jeff Goldman may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @JeffSGoldman. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    Surveillance footage shows the unidentified man a TD Bank in Somerset County on Saturday

    Police are trying to identify a man they say robbed a TD Bank Saturday afternoon, the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office announced Tuesday. 

    The man, who can be seen on security footage handing a piece of paper to a bank teller, walked into a TD Bank in Warren Township around 2:15 p.m. and demanded cash.

    A teller handed some over, and he left without incident. Authorities did not say how much he stole.

    The man had a dark beard and glasses, and was wearing a dark polo shirt, dark pants and a baseball cap. 

    Investigators encourage anyone with information to contact the Warren Township Police Department at 908-753-1000. 

    Gianluca D'Elia may be reached at gdelia@njadvancemedia.comFollow him on Twitter @gianluca_delia. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    Four Roman Catholic priests with ties to New Jersey were among the hundreds of men identified in a sweeping Pennsylvania grand jury report released Tuesday.

    0 0

    Is your college a good investment? Cheaper isn't always better.

    0 0

    Who is back from's postseason selections following the 2017 season?

    0 0

    More hot fun in the summertime.

    This is a photo of the house I grew up in on Chimes Terrace in Vineland. Do you see that strip of sand alongside the street in front of our house?


    Obviously, we didn't have sidewalks. We also didn't have a swimming pool and my sister and I usually were limited to running through the sprinkler or shooting water pistols at each other to keep cool.

    But with regularity, it being summer, a thunderstorm would pass through.

    Thunderstorms are usually over pretty quickly; after it passed, a river of water would be running down the side of our street. That water and that sand became our special summer fun.

    MORE: Vintage photos around New Jersey

    We could form little canals or dam up the water and make a small lake. If it was a particularly hard rain, you could sail little sticks as if they were boats. Even if the rain wasn't quite over, it was a cooling summer rain you didn't mind and the steam rising off the asphalt added to the things you could imagine. Traffic wasn't nearly as dense as it is today, and drivers were aware of us - they weren't staring at cell phones.

    And every time there's a summer shower, even to this day, I think back to that simple summer fun.

    In this gallery of vintage photos from around New Jersey, we can see that summertime fun can be anything anyone wants it to be when the weather's fine. And here are links to other galleries you'll enjoy.

    Vintage photos of taverns and bars in N.J.

    Vintage photos of the 1970s in N.J.

    Vintage photos of a day in N.J.

    Greg Hatala may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @GregHatala. Find Greg Hatala on Facebook.

    0 0

    Find out which teacher from your county made the cut.

    0 0

    The Kenilworth School District defended its decision to pay its former superintendent over $100,000 in salary, severance and unused vacation days following his resignation. Watch video

    The Kenilworth School District defended its decision to pay its former superintendent over $100,000 in salary, severance and unused vacation days following his resignation.

    The Kenilworth Board of Education accepted the resignation of Superintendent Thomas Tramaglini on July 26, nearly three months after he was accused of pooping daily near the Holmdel High School running track.

    The separation agreement between Tramaglini and the school district pays his full salary through the end of September plus two months severance pay and $23,827 in unused vacation days.

    On Thursday, the district sent an email and voicemail to parents explaining its decision and said that much of the money that will be paid to Tramaglini was due to him in his contract "under any circumstance," and that the school actually saved money with the separation agreement. 

    "In reality, the board negotiated an agreement consistent with state law and approved by the Commissioner of Education, through which the board traded nearly two years of salary and benefits for about two months of salary," it was stated in the voicemail, a copy of which was obtained by NJ Advance Media. "In doing so, the board saved well over $200,000 in salary, benefits and legal fees which would have been spent on any tenure case."  

    District to pay over $100K to ex-superintendent

    The district explained that no staff member can be suspended without pay unless they are indicted or brought up on tenure charges.

    Superintendents are considered to be tenured for the life of their contract and pay can only be withheld for 120 days, according to the district.

    Tramaglini was under contract through July 1, 2020.

    Keeping Tramaglini on full pay for the five months following his suspension up through his September resignation date will cost the district $61,458. This amount, plus his vacation and severance pay, increased the total payout to $109,868. The district will also honor the terms of Tramaglni's original contract, which calls for reimbursement of $682 per unused sick day.

    The voicemail also stated the board felt that by accepting the superintendent's resignation it "brought the situation to a conclusion" so that the school could "return to the main mission of the district, in the best interests of all concerned."

    Tramaglini, 42, was suspended with pay by Kenilworth after he was charged on May 1 by Holmdel Police with defecating in public at the Holmdel High School football field and track, which is about 3 miles from his home in Aberdeen.

    The former superintendent appeared at a Holmdel Municipal Court hearing on Monday where his attorney, Matthew Adams, clashed with municipal Prosecutor Steven Zabarsky over concerns about the police department's handling of the evidence against Tramaglini.

    He also notified the Holmdel police of his intention to sue the department for photographing him and "maliciously" circulating his mug shot for what his lawyer has characterized as a minor offense.

    Chris Sheldon may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @chrisrsheldon Find on Facebook.



    0 0

    Some of the scorpions and millipedes escaped from a package while on a mail truck on the way to the man's Middlesex County home, authorities say

    Middlesex County postal employees knew something was wrong when they spotted millipedes and scorpions crawling around a mail truck and inside the post office three summers ago. 

    The critters were the work of Wlodzimie Lapkiewicz, a Metuchen man arrested Thursday on federal charges accusing him of smuggling the endangered species into the country, the U.S. Attorney's Office announced.

    Lapkiewicz, 29, shipped multiple species of insects from places like Tanzania to New Jersey and falsely labeled packages to avoid detection, authorities allege.

    He recently labeled one box containing multiple live, giant millipedes: "Plush Toys for my Friends Child about to be born." Another was labeled "entomological supplies," the complaint against him says. 

    Authorities say Lapkiewicz repeatedly smuggled scorpions, giant millipedes and other invertebrate species between July 2015 and July 2018, and was twice warned about his actions. He's charged with wildlife smuggling and false labeling of wildlife. 

    Federal officials say he was selling the creatures through his Facebook page.


    Postal inspectors first learned of the imports in July 2015 when live scorpions and millipedes escaped from a package - which originated from Tanzania in east Africa - while on a truck that was on the way to Lapkiewicz's home.

    A postal inspector interviewed Lapkiewicz that month, and he admitted ordering 20 emperor scorpions, 20 giant African millipedes, and five egg cases containing praying mantises.

    The inspector told Lapkiewicz that it was unlawful to import live species via mail and gave Lapkiewicz a warning because he said they were for personal use, the complaint says.

    A similar incident occurred two months later, in September 2015, when two more millipedes were found on the loose in the post office. 

    Meanwhile, in France, customs officers seized two more packages addressed to Lapkiewicz, one containing 69 millipedes and one with 46 live emperor scorpions. They originated in Cameroon.

    In December 2015, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service met with Lapkiewicz and they told him it was illegal to import invertebrates without obtaining the necessary authorizations. They filed no charges and told him to stop, the complaint says.

    Federal investigators kept on him and found several individuals who purchased invertebrates or insects from Lapkiewicz, the complaint says. And he kept importing insects.

    On June 20, customs officers in Indianapolis intercepted a Federal Express package addressed to Lapkiewicz containing live giant millipedes. And on July 3, fish and wildlife agents at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York intercepted a package with 245 small containers with live orchid mantids inside.

    Two species of scorpions that Lapkiewicz was importing, emperor and dictator scorpions, are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. 

    Lapkiewicz, who's Facebook page is under Wlodek Lapkiewicz, is listed under that name as working at the Philadelphia Insectarium, as the living colonies director.

    A call to the insectarium was not immediately returned Thursday evening.

    Lapkiewicz could face up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for the wildlife smuggling charge. The false labeling of wildlife charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. 

    After a court appearance Thursday, in federal court in Newark, Lapkiewicz was released on $50,000 bond. 

    Gianluca D'Elia may be reached at gdelia@njadvancemedia.comFollow him on Twitter @gianluca_delia. Find on Facebook.

    0 0

    The 15-year-old was located by the Rutgers police but the 16-year-old is still missing

    One of the two Freehold Township girls who went missing Wednesday night was found Thursday in New Brunswick. 

    kayla.jpgKayla Destefano is still missing. (Freehold Township police) 

    Jocelyn Zaveckas, 15, was located at 8 p.m. by Rutgers University police, Freehold Township police said Friday morning. Her 16-year-old friend, Kayla Destefano, is still missing, but police think she is the New Brunswick area. 

    Described by police as runaways, the two left a home on Jackson Mills Road in Jackson, Ocean County and were last seen together around 8:50 p.m. walking south along that street in the area of Chandler Road.

    Destefano is about 5-foot-2 and has brown hair, brown eyes and a scar on her left arm, according to police. 

    Anyone with information about Destefano is asked to call Freehold Township police at 732-462-7500 or 732-294-2110.

    Jeff Goldman may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @JeffSGoldman. Find on Facebook.


    0 0

    See how the new divisional realignment cycle could alter the boys soccer landscape this season.

    0 0

    Here's a look at police dashboard camera videos in light of the latest state Supreme Court ruling on Monday.

    0 0

    Gov. Phil Murphy signed a law Friday authorizing the deal for the land that housed an institution for the disabled that Gov. Chris Christie closed four years ago

    The state of New Jersey will soon get $5 million from its sixth-largest town for a piece of land that housed an institution for the disabled closed by Gov. Chris Christie four years ago. 

    Gov. Phil Murphy signed a law Friday authorizing Woodbridge to buy the 54 acres of land where the Woodbridge Developmental Center used to sit in the Avenel section of town. 

    The law (A4065) authorities the state treasurer to allow the sale.

    The state Department of Human Services under Christie closed the 50-year-old facility in 2014 as part of the then-governor's push to develop more privately operated community housing and rely less on expensive state institutions. Christie's administration also shuttered the North Jersey Developmental Center in Totowa that year. 

    Christie defends closing developmental centers in Woodbridge and Totowa

    Woodbridge Mayor John McCormac said he's not "100 percent sure" what the township will do with the land. But he said it will have "commercial, educational, and health-care components" and will not include housing of any kind. 

    McCormac -- a former state treasurer and former member of Murphy's transition team -- said town officials have "talked to potential interested parties."

    Christie defended closing the facilities despite some opposition. He said he was shocked to learn New Jersey was second only to Texas in the number of large institutions it operates and the number of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities who live in them.

    "I cannot sleep at night knowing I'm institutionalizing people by my hand as the governor," Christie said at the time.

    The state declared the Woodbridge land surplus. 

    Its sale will be only a drop in the bucket of New Jersey's $37.4 billion state budget. 

    NJ Advance Media staff writers Susan K. Livio contributed to this report.

    Brent Johnson may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @johnsb01. Find Politics on Facebook.

    0 0

    The hitman was actually an undercover cop.

    Authorities have arrested an Indiana couple on charges that they plotted to have a North Brunswick woman killed.

    Narsan Lingala, 54, and his girlfriend, Sandya Reddy, 51, of Noblesville, Indiana, were arrested in Woodbridge on Saturday afternoon when they met an undercover cop posing as a prospective hitman, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office.

    Their alleged target was Lingala's ex-wife, authorities said.

    The pair were each charged with first-degree attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

    The arrests followed a three-month investigation by the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office, Woodbridge Police Department and the FBI.

    The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Woodbridge Police Detective Michael Barbato at 732-635-7700 or prosecutor's office Detective Lucas Kitto at 732-745-3976.

    Matt Gray may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @MattGraySJT. Find the South Jersey Times on FacebookHave a tip? Tell us:


    0 0

    This is the fourth year for the parade in Middlesex County.

    Pakistani pride was displayed on Oak Tree Road as the annual Pakistan Day Parade wound its way from Iselin to Woodbridge on Sunday.

    Al light rain didn't hamper the event now in its fourth year.

    "We are here with our families to celebrate," said Sher Junjel as he carried an American flag in his right hand and a Pakistani flag in his left.

    Music dominated the parade.

    Participants riding on floats waved flags and danced to the music. Cars in the parade were also covered in flags.

    Spectators waved from the sidewalks and from inside stores that lined the route.

    The parade marks Pakistan Independence Day which was Aug. 14.

    Ed Murray may be reached at Follow Ed on Twitter at @EdMurrayphoto. Find NJ.COM on Facebook.

older | 1 | .... | 338 | 339 | (Page 340) | 341 | 342 | .... | 359 | newer